CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Bone-lazy cheapskate

My hands hurt, my feet ache, my back is sore and even my face aches. I have spent most of the last two days racing (hah!) up and down a three tier scaffolding re staining our house. We have actually been at it for two weeks, but since we are both working full time, well, you know. I had two days in a row off, and the rentals were due back. This started as a simple project of fixing some loose trim. However, as soon as we began to stain the trim it became obvious that the whole house was thirsty. Our house is entirely wood sided. We do a good job when we stain, so we haven't had to do it often, but it is a twenty year old house.
Sweet C says that not many women my age would take on a project that involved climbing scaffolding three stories high or putting a ladder on the top of the scaffolding to reach just that little bit higher. (I'm short) He is right. Most women are smarter than that. While I am, in reality, bone-deep lazy, I am also extremely cheap. I can never pay someone else to do a job that we are perfectly capable of doing ourselves, so I get myself, my husband and all the kids involved in these huge projects.
I am getting old though. Everything hurts more than it did when I was younger. The ground looks further away. Twisting myself around to reach something from the top of a ladder makes my back ache longer. I held a spray bottle in one hand and a brush in the other because the liquid is as thin as water and needs to be driven into the wood with a brush, so my hands hurt. And I was on my feet the whole time. Even in the house standing on a ladder makes my feet hurt. But why does my face hurt?

5 comments:

Judy said...

I think it is from all the grimacing! You are a very industrious cheapskate, if you as me. The house looks beautiful, by the way.

AdaMandy said...

Maybe it hurts cause you are smiling cause it's done AND supposedly looks great? I am impressed. My dad is a brick mason, and I hated climbing scaffling(SP?) as a teenager. Especially a ladder on 3 stories, I think you're crazy...but we love ya.

Lynn said...

Oh, but I'm not quite done! I have the porch, and a little corner near the front, and about six feet of lower area on the east side. I ran out of stain and was too tired, and it was too late to go for more Saturday evening. I'll try to remember to post a picture when it is done.

D/E G said...

When your whole body is putting so much effort into something, I think your face muscles tense just as much as the rest of you. I know that some of my yoga stuff frequently reminds me to relax my facial muscles. I hope you get it all done and that we get the see the results of all your work!

Yomama said...

I was going to guess sunburn... Good work, you anything-but-bone-deep-lazy-crazy woman!
Hugs,
Karlily