CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 20, 2008

To bless and sanctify

I have thought a lot lately about Christ and his role in my life. I have studied the scriptures with more purpose, and listened more carefully to what others say about Him.
One of the things I have noticed is how my thoughts about Christ are affected by the young men blessing the sacrament. When they speak clearly, enunciate well, and seem as though they themselves are paying attention to what they are saying - I find it easier and more productive to think about the life and sacrifices of Jesus. When they mumble and stumble over words and pay no attention to the reading I find myself thinking more about them and how well they read or how they live their lives, than about Jesus.
Yesterday a young man in our ward spoke clearly, distinctly and with power as he gave the sacrament prayer. I have noticed this young man in his personal life is neat and clean, hardworking and productive and truly going somewhere with his life. The young men who mumble often are also sloppy in their dress and grooming, and pay little attention to schoolwork or outside work. It seems to be all part of a pattern. . . . . .
Making me think that I need to pay more attention to the way I dress for church and temple, my own grooming and the attention I pay to other parts of my life. Have I let myself become too sloppy in all the parts of my life?

2 comments:

kimbo said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping in on my blog. I love this thought you posted. I was just listening to Elder Oaks' talk yesterday and he was talking about how the way we dress for sacrament meeting is a reflection of how serious we take that ordinance. It should be like going to the temple. I need to remember this. I know it can be a challenge for me with young kids, but perhaps it's even more important for me to focus on it because I do have young kids!

AJ said...

One of the talks during General Conference (can't remember at the moment) talked about this some. It made me think the same for myself. I think it might have been Elder Hales quoting someone else saying that casualness in dress shows a casual attitude. (I am totally paraphrasing, sorry.) Definitely something to be aware of and watch out for. Thanks for the reminder.