CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Barack


I gotta say, I am rather excited about the idea of our first 'black' president. I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it on my own. I am not the type to vote for, or not vote for a person based on their 'race', or 'color'. However, after watching how very excited the black population is about this whole thing, I think we do need to have a person of color as president, finally.
I guess I don't understand the whole feeling picked on because of race thing. I once saw an interview with Brian Gumball (?is that the name?) and the interviewer asked how he would feel if a waitress slammed his plate down in front of him. He said he would think she didn't like blacks. I thought then, and I think now, that it would be much more likely that she was having a bad day, or that she was just rude. There is, after all, plain meanness. I live among a people who love all races and my church teaches that we are all children of God, so, most of us don't notice color except for interest sake.
On the other hand, I am the type of person who votes for someone because I agree with their ideals. I am a fiscal conservative who has voted independently all of my life. I was very unhappy about all of our choices because the history of democrats is to spend our money for programs and lately the republicans have put us miles deeper into debt.
Government is not your daddy. When you receive money from any government program it is being paid for by the guy next door. No problem if there is true need. As in; truly unable to work. But way too many of those monies go to the simply lazy. Everyone in this country has the opportunity to receive a high school education for 'free'. The rest of us should not spend our lives trying to pay for the choices of those who couldn't be bothered to get at least a high school education. We should not spend our lives paying for the needs of those who would rather get high, play around, or do a million other things rather than take care of their own responsibilities.
So, my hope is that our new president will think of all the citizens of this and not just switch to a lot of new programs. I am very concerned about the taxes and expenditures he may implement. But. . . . . I would so like to see him be a great president. We so need a great president!
So, good luck and may God bless Barack Obama.

2 comments:

AJ said...

Another great post. I agree with you. I didn't vote for him, but I am hopeful that he will be a great president. And it is cool to get to see this historical thing. Hopefully it will open people's eyes to new possibilities for their lives.
I don't know if any of that made sense, but I agree with you.

Unknown said...

I know I didn't live through the Carter years, but it feels like, given the last couple of decades, that it is time to start seeing the democrats as the party of fiscal responsibility, not the republicans. Not only are republicans NOT fiscally responsible, they give the principles of small government and free markets a bad name by linking their horrible policies to those ideas.