CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dinner plate flower



My hardy hibiscus is in bloom. This is probably my favorite flower in the garden. At least this time of year. (I also really like my Tiffany rose) Years ago when we lived in Phoenix I had a regular red hibiscus outside my side door. It bloomed all the time. I don't think I really appreciated it because it was always there. However, here where we have 4 seasons, or at the least winter and summer, I am lucky to get a couple of weeks of bloom. That means I appreciate them all the more. Hope you like these shots.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are HUGE! I love it.

Looks like you've got a bit of an aphid problem. Since it's right next to the vegetables, you probably don't want to spray insecticides. You should be able to take care of them with neem oil. It's organic and non toxic; you want to spray directly on those curled leaves.

Judy said...

Beautiful!

Lynn said...

Thanks, I knew I had a problem but thought it was water, since hibiscus like water. I haven't seen any aphids though, and I have other 'deformities' in the garden this year. Plus odd bugs - ones I've never seen before. Weird huh!

Unknown said...

you might not see them, there are a lot of different aphid varieties and some are very small. But that curled leaf is classic sign of aphids. They inject a chemical into the leaf that makes it curl like that, which protects them from the wind and rain and leaves them free to feast on the leaf.

Unknown said...

When you see an odd bug, go take a closeup picture with your digital camera. You can have them ID'd on this site
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bugid/all/
or send it to me and I'll do it, I already have a membership.