CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Weird idea of fun

After twenty years experience in this yard I know that it takes me about an hour a day every day of the year to keep it up. Since I do little work in the winter, that means I need to need to work longer in the summer. Also I never work out there on Sunday, or sweet C's day off and that lost time has to be added to other days. Also this year I did absolutely nothing in the winter. The caretakers I hired to care for my house and yard were gone in November, and while I came up a few times before I moved home I was busy having an operation, and painting and refinishing things. I didn't actually do anything in the yard until June. Then I spent time with my granddaughter and went to her house and while she was here I did very little in the yard. So, now I am trying to make up for ignoring things by working longer per day. Weeds are very tall. However, I find weeding rather gratifying. The pop when you pull them out by the roots. The clean ground you find under when you dig them with a shovel. (I don't hoe much - it leaves the weed on top of the ground and I like to remove them completely) I have been picking apricots and now am trying to put them up, and I have to tell you, I'd rather be weeding! I can't stand to be out in the heat so I seldom work past noon - it's too hot. But while I am in the house, no matter what I am working on, I am thinking about the next thing to do in the yard and wishing I was out there doing it. That really is why I like fall and spring. I can spend more time in the yard. I like to work there.

3 comments:

AJ said...

I actually like weeding too. You can see your progress and it feels so good to yank out their nasty roots. My garden has gotten crazy out of hand with weeds as well, for other busy reasons. Oh well, at least we were having fun while they grew!

D/E G said...

I think I must feel that pull to be out there too; I'm working to get a fall garden in soon and I often plan what I need to do next out there, and I'm out at random times. I have to wait to really enjoy my time out there though because THIS is not an ideal season where I live.

Yomama said...

Perfect post for the gardening girl! Do we all feel some sense of satisfaction from weeding? Our three acres is completely, honestly unmanageable, but I still like taking time each morning after my walk to weed - in the garden, the grass, wherever the nasties are loudest. But it will be years before we can really enjoy the sites in our yard; so, so much to tamiing the prairie.
Hugs, Lily