CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Fatherhood

In light of the day tomorrow I wish to say something profound regarding my sweet husband and fatherhood. Unfortunately I am not much of a writer. I think wonderful thoughts but they don't translate into words very well. I'll do my best, though, because I am married to the best. My husband, as well as most husbands and fathers that I know, feels keenly the responsibility of making the living for the family. Nothing worries him more than the thought that he might not be earning enough to pay the bills. Corporations in this day and age have absolutely no loyalty to their hardworking employees. Therefore the fear of losing the job hangs over the head constantly. (That fear should hang over the head of a guy who shows up late, doesn't do the work and always wants time off, but that isn't the kind of guy I'm talking about.) In the same vein, these lovely men are always concerned with doing better, making more so as to give the children everything they want. Sometimes the children want too much. Sometimes we wives want too much. We can't demand that they are home with us, and demand that they make more money as well. I just want to say that I think my husband is the smartest as well as one of the hardest working men I know, and that I am very proud of him and impressed by everything he does.
Besides the incredibly important making of the living, my husband can do anything. Had the children been willing to learn he could have taught them woodworking, auto-mechanics, plumbing, carpentry, electrical installation and repair, and a thousand what-to-do-when-things-break-down. Instead, they were busy with their own things while he was working in the shop or building things or repairing stuff. No slight to them, children are allowed their own interests, however do not let it be said that he couldn't or wouldn't have taught them. He is always doing things for the house and family. And he loved it when the kids would come say "Dad, how do I. . . . . ."
I do not mean to denigrate those who do, but my husband never golfed, or went off fishing or hunting with the 'guys', or played football or basketball with his buddies. He was always home with us if he wasn't at work. I think we are incredibly blessed by this. He cooked and cleaned and built and helped, and still does. The kids are gone from our house, but he still worries about them all the time. He is a wonderful father. He is a fabulous husband, and I just want the world to know that on this Fathers Day.

3 comments:

Chrysalis said...

He is my favorite Dad as well- I give dad credit for teaching me a great deal of the stuff I know how to do, as well as the ability to pick up a book and learn how to do anything. You tell dad I love him.

Judy said...

Your husband is a gem. Tell we all love him too.

Unknown said...

Yeah he sure is the best.
It's difficult to explain how much character he passed on to us boys. leading through example more than anything. I don't imagine any of us could do much better than to be similar to Dad in as many ways as possible.
I'm sure Chrys learned a thing or two from him as well, but I wouldn't know anything about that cause she's a girl.
(kidding)