CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 30, 2008

veggies

We got the vegetables in tonight. Yeah! Two varieties of corn, two varieties of beans, peas, beets, watermelon, muskmelon, cucumber, two varieties of sweet pepper, four varieties of tomato, and a butternut squash. What I did not put in and want to are a summer squash, like yellow crook-neck, and potatoes. I couldn't find seed potatoes anywhere. Some people don't carry them, but the places that usually do were out. I wonder if I am not the only person feeling that this is a very good year to be growing some of our own food?
I threw a few more flower seeds in with the vegetables, just for fun, but the center garden bed is completely empty. Our tiller wasn't yet serviced and running so I bought a tilling job at the church auction. When he came over to do it the gentleman was overwhelmed by the size of our garden beds, so I just had him do the two side beds and left the larger center bed un-tilled. With no children at home I probably don't need that many vegetables anyway, and I can take the year to feed the soil. The soil was very hard since I wasn't here adding tons of grass clippings, leaves, and compost over the last few years.
Now I need to get all the weeds out of the raspberries before they go to seed. One weed goes to seed and you pay for it for years to come!

1 comments:

Shannon said...

We had summer squash, yellow squash, crookneck, whatever you want to call it for dinner tonight. It was 10/$1. at the store so I couldn't resist. I reminded me of having it in our garden all summer growing up. I am drooling as I read your entry, especially the mention of raspberries. Your backyard is a piece of heaven!