CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 15, 2008

Incredible Honor!


A few weeks ago a member of the bishopric approached me to ask if I would be interested in singing in the choir for the upcoming General Women's Conference. I wondered why they would ask me; I sing tenor normally and my voice has been very hoarse over the last couple of years. (Though it is better with a change in medication.) I know I cannot really sing well enough to do this but what an honor to be asked! And the opportunity to be near the prophet and other general authorities, too cool to pass up. Of course I said I would love to!
The rehearsals have been an incredible experience. We have met and heard a short encouraging "speech" by all three members of the General Relief Society Presidency, a number of members of the general music committee, our local musical representative, other members of the Relief Society General Board and the stake president for some of the other stake's involved in this. Our stake is the contact stake. At the first rehearsal our Stake President gave the entire choir a wonderful speech and a communal blessing, a rare and very lovely occurrence. we have essentially been told that this is more about showing our testimony than about singing. We have actually spent more time hearing encouraging words than singing. We are expected to practice singing at home on our own.
So, considering my voice and core tendency towards self-doubt, would I be asking too much to ask all of you to pray for me? Thank you! I hope not to be caught by the camera, I can just imagine me scratching my cheek just as the camera scanned my face, but as far as testimony goes, I believe in God, and this church, I love Jesus Christ, and hope that my testimony does show when people see me. Please, encourage everyone you know, member and non-member alike, to watch this conference. That is the point of this meeting.

7 comments:

Jed and Leona said...

that is definitely an honor! that will be such an amazing experience. you will definitely be in our prayers and i'll be watching for you!!! i once sang at some conference where they were recording and the only hard part was to not look at the camera! good luck!

Elle said...

How great is that! Yes we will pray for you!!!!

Elle said...

P.S. Sure miss you here in Las Vegas!

Jennifer B said...

That is so awesome!! Congrats!!

Shannon said...

Just to let you know, I was watching the whole time to see if the camera would catch a glimpse of you and during the last song I finally saw you! Yay! Was it such a neat experience? It was a great meeting, wonderful talks, I am happy for you to be a part of such a special meeting. Love ya!

D/E G said...

I saw you tonight and told my friends that I was sitting with who you are! It sounded beautiful! I got a kick out of your director; the camera panned in on some great expressions on her face. Good job!

AJ said...

I think I heard your voice carrying some of the really low notes in one of the songs. I think I saw you too, but not sure if it was you. The music was wonderful and probably even more so for you!