CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Wealth

I am rich with raspberries! I have, at times in the past, had 20 cases of berries on my bushes. While last years crop was pathetic, little more than one case, and this years crop is only somewhat better, still I have had enough to share a couple of cups with one friend and a couple with another. My second son came down with his girlfriend today and picked at least half a case, and a few black raspberries to boot. And being able to share - is this not true wealth?
I have, in past years, picked the raspberries that smashed in a windstorm and juiced them and drunk the juice or made jelly. We became so used to being able to do this that even in leaner years we still make jelly. In fact, I have so much old jam and jelly and fruit and vegetables in my pantry that I need to empty bottles into the garden and refill them with new, fresh fruit and vegetables. (My children never liked bottled fruit as much as my siblings and I did when we were children.)
Now that sweet C and I are alone here we don't need as much freezer jam or as many frozen berries, so we can still share. And we really don't do cooked jam anymore. So tonight, I made raspberry juice concentrate that we can add to lemonade or just drink alone.
It's funny though. I always have more harvest than I can use. Yet even though I plant, and water, and weed and care for my garden - I cannot get anyone to share the harvesting. People often tell me that they would like some of my berries, or apricots, or tomatoes, or whatever, but they never come. My only rule is that they pick it themselves, and somehow, no one ever wants to do that. (Picking is the hardest thing for me for some odd reason.) I won't give away food that I had to pick. Well, at least most of the time I won't.

4 comments:

AJ said...

Oh, I wish I was closer and could come pick. I never took the time to take advantage of your offer when we closer. Sigh. I am wanting raspberries so much this year and haven't had any!

Yomama said...

Yes, D, you are rich; rich is what we choose to view as important that we have... I stopped in here to say hi since I didn't get to while traveling through, and I'm sad that we didn't. I also would love to have picked; funny, though I love fruit more than anything, I enjoy the picking, but have nowhere to pick; and our garden is nothing short of pathetic (bad soil in the chosen spot is my only guess, since it has been pathetic all three attempts), though we did have enough tomatoes last year. So, yes, enjoy your surlplus, and try to be gentle with the people who want but don't work for it. They will learn someday, as AJ has. ;-}
Love you,
Karla

Yomama said...

Oops - I left a long, chatty comment and then lost it, I think... Sorry, and sorry I missed you while traveling through. Enjoy your richness, and know that those who won't or don't take advantage of your generosity will learn and wish someday... as AJ and I are, living here where fruit is never cheap, hard to grow and equally hard to obtain of quality... but we still love it! And I love you!
Karla

Lynn said...

Lily - feed your soil!!! I used to till in 100 bags of leaves a year. I always till in grass clippings. I have added sawdust and compost and sand because I have clay soil. All those things decompose and feed the soil. Oh, and don't forget kitchen scraps (no meat!)