CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 13, 2008

The great rail adventure




My grand-daughter and I finally got our train ride all the way back to her home in Iowa. At the last minute Amtrak called to say the train ride through Iowa had been reinstated which was good for us as they were going to send us to Denver by train, then to Omaha by bus and then we would have been on our own and would have to have rented a car for the rest of the trip.
It was the first trip that train had taken since it was closed down for flood damage control, and we could see many areas still very wet and showing how high the water had been. We had to go very slow through those areas since there still may have been unseen damage to the track.
My grand-daughter was bored on the journey, even though we had brought books and activities and even movies. I think it was that in a car, strapped into her car seat, she knows she can't move, but in the train she knew she could get up and go to the bathroom, or the dining room and so wanted to move around more than the conductors want you to. She said she was tired of seeing forest, which was my favorite part! The best part of the journey is between Grand Junction, Colorado and Denver, Colorado (incredible views!) although I quite liked the area through Iowa too, since it is so green there.
While I was in Iowa it rained at least 4 more times, and I mean -really rained!, so the trip home was still slow due to wet areas and they had come across two separate trees across the track before I got on. I was supposed to be home in Utah by 10pm and it was closer to 2am. Still, I enjoyed visiting with people and knitting and watching the scenery. I could travel by train. It might be nice if one could afford the sleeping cars though. It is hard to sleep in the seat, even if you do have more room than a plane. And the food in the dining car, though good enough, is hardly worth the high price they charge. So, If you ever go by train, take at least some snacks and try to limit your time in the diner, take a pillow as the ones they give you are inadequate, and take things to do on the journey. It is fun though!

1 comments:

Alisa F. said...

My only image of a train is the ones we rode in Russia, so I'm guessing the fact that you enjoyed it shows trains here are much better. :) (The train from Sweden to Denmark actually wasn't too bad, though sleeping was definitely difficult. I would love to ride a train in the US sometime, just to see the difference.